National Association of Manufacturers
Job Title: Director, Member and Board Relations- Western Region
Department: Member and Board Relations
Division: Membership and Strategic Development
Reports To: Vice President, Member and Board Relations
Level: Senior Professional
The National Association of Manufacturers (NAM) is seeking a Director, Member andBoard Relations Western Region. The Director, Member and Board Relations - Western Region is responsible for the retention, growth, and engagement of the NAM's largest members and the NAM Board of Directors from a variety of manufacturing industry sectors. This position is based in Denver (or remote in region) and works with members and prospective members headquartered in the Western half of the US.
Additionally, this role works across the organization in partnership with the Membership Leadership Team, AVP, Strategic Development and relevant program leads to identify targets in region and solicit them for contributions to the Legal Center, issue advocacy campaigns, sponsorships and additional fundraising programs as requested.
Join the NAM and Make an Impact in the Following Ways:
- Manage, retain, and grow a $3M-plus portfolio of business. Additionally, in coordination with the VP/SVP identify the top prospects in region and developsales plans to engage each company and bring them into membership.
- Clearly and effectively articulate the NAM value proposition to an executive audience both verbally and in writing.
- Leverage deep industry and public policy knowledge to identify potential dues increase targets and membership risks as well as opportunities to engage members in sponsorship and/or issue advocacy opportunities.
- Assess account relationships with NAM management on a regular basis to develop a personalized membership strategy that will create the highest value for each company within the region. This includes:
- Identifying and engaging the c-suite and government relations executives, and operational leaders across the company;
- Researching, understanding, and remaining well versed on the top issues of importance to each company; and
- Answering the question of what the NAM does to provide the most value for each company, citing specific examples of collaboration and assistance, advocacy advancement, and legislative, litigation and public perception "wins".
- Conduct research, analyze financial information, and stay abreast of key policy and business issues of concern for members in your portfolio.
- Work with multiple touchpoints within the company including, but not limited to the CEO, General Counsel, Head of Government Relations, Head of Communications, Head of Human Resources, etc. Continuously work with multiple levels within the member company so that transitions are managed accordingly.
- Work effectively with internal policy, communications, legal and public affairs and mobilization and the Manufacturing Institute to implement and execute member engagement strategies.
- Develop a working knowledge of the industries in your region and their specific issue needs, economic outlook, and niche within your membership base.
- Serve as the conduit between the NAM and each member company by successfully summarizing and communicating the needs, interests, business and policy challenges, and priorities of member companies back into the organization.Collect the necessary data and inputs from members to credibly act as the"voice of the member" during internal discussions. Find the right opportunitiesto engage other NAM teams and resources in identifying and furthering themembers' interests.
- On a quarterly basis, present your regions plan for growth including increases,new member sales, mitigating risks and driving additional revenue streaminvestment to internal leadership.
- Recruit, develop and involve c-suite executives to the NAM Board. Work closely with these executives and communicate with them on the NAM's efforts on their key priorities. In conjunction with the Board Initiatives Team and Membership Leadership develop Board engagement plans and engage these leaders to help grow the NAM, and their investment in it.
- Develop and execute c-suite-level events and programming outside of Washington, DC and actively engage executives through these events.
- Staff the NAM Chairman, NAM President & CEO and NAM leadership in visits to key members and Board members in region and in Washington, DC
One, shared administrative support.
We are looking for Team Players who meet the Following Criteria:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor's degree in political science or business preferred.
- A minimum of 8 - 10 years in public or corporate affairs, business management or high-level c-suite sales.
- Experience in association membership sales and retention as well as in developing external strategic alliances is preferred.
- Must be able to engage and maintain relationships with chief executive officers of member companies and other senior management.
- Must be goal oriented with demonstrated success in achieving growth in revenue.
- Must have a general understanding of the policy process and knowledge of legislative and regulatory issues in order to engage regularly with member companies.
- Must have a working knowledge of association peers and competitors.
- Outstanding communication skills are essential.
- Must possess knowledge of database and spreadsheet software in addition to basic computer tools and be able to communicate adequately in writing.
- Is a skilled writer and communicator with demonstrated ability to synthesize information for a business audience as well as ghost-write from another's perspective.
- Must be able to work effectively in a fast-paced, quality and goal driven work environment.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The National Association of Manufacturers is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity. We welcome and celebrate everyone's uniqueness here at the NAM. We provide equal opportunities to individuals regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protectedveteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, politicalviews or activity, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
We also consider qualified applicants with conviction histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. At the NAM, we believe in Second Chances! The NAM is committed to offering equal employment opportunities to ALL. We only require that you have the qualifications, talent and passion to be successful in your role.
The NAM is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us firstname.lastname@example.org
The National Association of Manufacturers requires proof of Covid-19 vaccination from all employees that are headquarters based and/or remote. This is a condition of employment with the NAM but will consider special accommodation for individual circumstances.
The National Association of Manufacturers (NAM) is the largest manufacturing association in the United States and one of the nation's most influential advocates for manufacturing. By joining the NAM, you become part of a spirited and dynamic team that is driven to succeed. We recognize and reward our staff with competitive pay and annual performance-based bonus programs. We offer an outstanding benefits package that includes health, dental, and vision insurance, life, short-term and long-term disability, flexible spending accounts, SmarTrip, and a 401(k) Salary Deferral plan with employer match and contributions, vacation and sick leave, complimentary on-site gym access and healthy snacks in the break room. Become part of a fast-paced team passionate about keeping the United States the world leader in manufacturing.
Get involved. Make an impact. Join the NAM team.
Learn more at www.nam.org/careers